Tuesday 11 November 2014

Troubles with an ‘A’ harp.


Ah, now I know what I’ve been doing wrong!

I have always struggled with my ‘A’ harp. I just figured that the reeds were going to be less responsive because of the lower notes. I found myself puffing hard and the sound out of the one, two and three holes far too breathy and hissing or vibrating.

I’d set aside practice time to specifically work on low notes and bends on the ‘A’ harp, but it became a chore.

Then I decided to commit to upgrading my ‘A’ harp.

I’d been working with a cheap Big River harp and so took the plunge and purchased a much more expensive Hohner Marine Band Deluxe.

Straight out of the box the difference was amazing!

All those clear notes that had eluded me started to ring out, the bends were as neat as the ones I get on my Suzuki Promaster ‘C’ harp.

Needless to say the Big River harp went straight in the bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment