Tuesday 2 December 2014

Adam Gussow book.


A little while back I read the autobiography of blues supremo Adam Gussow, titled ‘Mister Satan’s Apprentice, a Blues Memoir’.

Gussow earned his spurs on the streets of New York City under his mentors Nat Riddles and Sterling Magee.

This book fascinated me on many fronts. I enjoyed the honesty of Gussow and the boldness of his confessional approach. The descriptions of the music and the development of the young musician learning his craft were also fascinating. Although I would have loved to have heard more about his experiences as a street musician in Europe, he skimmed over that part too lightly. Maybe there was too much info on his experiences as part of the musical ‘Big River’, I found that part a real drag.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment