Wednesday 21 January 2015

Book Review – ‘Harmonicas, Harps and Heavy Breathers; the Evolution of the People’s Instrument’. Kim Field.


A hefty and detailed piece of history, Kim Field’s book methodically and almost obsessively catalogues the genres and influences of all the famous harmonica players.

So many anecdotes, suppositions and conclusions, I found myself highlighting text and note writing all over this book. Field throws so many ideas and observations into the text that the book deserves more than one reading. 

To give one example; Field expands on the idea of how the slurred chordal deliberate ‘mistakes’ made by the blues harmonica players relates to west African music where such qualities are admired; the perfect smooth notes are thought of as too sterile, lacking in expression. It’s a good point – to me it ranks alongside something I read recently about Little Walter’s harmonica style being close to a kind of Deep South New Orleans Cajun, Zydeco accordion playing - interesting.

I’m afraid I just couldn't warm towards Larry Adler or any of the ‘popularisers’ of the harmonica, it doesn't get me reaching for a chromatic harmonica in any kind of hurry. The novelty acts and harmonica troupes of the 1940’s and 50’s also made me feel slightly queasy, something a touch too desperate about these acts, earnestly wanting to be accepted as serious musicians, forever the poor relation. 

I had a certain sympathy with the Jazz harmonica players.  Won’t say they were welcomed with open arms by the Jazz fraternity but they were allowed to make their mark.

In all a book worth reading (and re-reading).

No comments:

Post a Comment