Thursday 19 February 2015

New Mic.


It was inevitable, I had to get a proper mic.

I have just bought a Superlux D112/C harmonica mic. I was struggling of the bog standard vocal mic and wanted something to give me ‘the sound’. The Superlux is not in the same price brand as the Shure or the Shaker mic but I have to say I am impressed.

As I mentioned before I have a soft spot for good design. For me the Superlux ticks many of the boxes. Before I get on to the functionality I must say the look and the feel of the mic is just right. One website reviewer commented that the all metal body made it heavy, I would disagree; it feels pleasingly substantial in the hands, like a real piece of kit. The finger grooves in the top suggest to me that the designers gave some thought to usability and it is the right size for cupping.

There is a volume knob fitted into a recess in the body of the mic, this gives an additional control element, although it is quite easy to accidentally knock the settings, but I suppose that comes with practice.

The cable is fixed to the body; I can think of certain advantages, but the disadvantages are minimal.

The sound difference between this mic and the bog standard mic is considerable. There is a deeper tone and resonance, closer to the Little Walter sound (although the playing is nowhere near).

In all, a good purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment