Sunday 1 March 2015

Ian Siegal.

Sometimes listening to Tim Aves on Saint FM can yield some interesting stuff (thanks Tim). The Gary Clark Jnr. Live album he recommended has been a real treat. But my ears pricked up when I heard a track by Ian Siegal called ‘Only trying to survive’. I then stumbled upon the Siegal album ‘The Picnic Sessions’ on which the aforementioned track features.

Here is an interesting album, seemingly performed live and informally, almost campfire style, entirely acoustic, lots of banjo and excellent guitar playing from Siegal. His raspy raw singing style grows on you, but the songwriting skills and witty delivering are entrancing and engaging. But Siegal is a Brit, I wonder how that goes down across the pond? I intend to track down more work by Ian Siegal. I have one reservation in that I feel that he gravitates towards Country and what is often referred to as Americana; I have to struggle with my prejudices against country music, I groan when I hear twee overly sentimental Country crooning, one or two tracks on the ‘Picnic Sessions’ album lean dangerously close to these problem areas – ‘Gallo Del Cielo’ is one such track; Siegal didn’t write it, maybe American audiences like that brand of cowboy song?

There’s another track called ‘Talking Overseas Pirate Blues’, to me the addition of ‘Blues’ to the title is a tad misleading – every time I hear it I think of the title theme to that old American TV comedy series ‘The Beverly Hillbillies’, what was he thinking?

 I played my favourite track ‘Only trying to survive’ to a friend; I asked her what she thought? She dismissed it as sounding too much like Chas and Dave; a little unfair.

I don’t care what anyone say, I like it!

Ian Siegal.


No comments:

Post a Comment